Tuesday, February 19, 2013

To My Dear Jamie

My dearest Jamie,

Today, I dropped you off at school with a heavy heart. I felt so bad about our argument on getting you a pet.

It is not a matter if we can afford it or if we have space for it. It is a question of whether you earned it: Responsibility at school, at home, as an older sister, and as our eldest daughter.

One day you will understand that there is a reason behind working hard for the things we want and someday, you will appreciate that we have taught you this.

When you’re off to college, you will discover that thesis don’t get passed by demanding for answers, You have to search for them.

When you’ve embarked on your career you will find out that salaries and bonuses are not deposited into your account by merely showing up at work.

When you find your true love, you will know that a relationship needs not just love but nurturing, attention, and a conscious effort to make things work.

When you’ve become a mother, you will learn that you may have to deny your children some of their “wants” just so they will learn the value of hardwork, the happiness of a reward, and the lesson of patience and perseverance.

Thank you for realizing that arguing with me will get you nowhere.

I am proud that you have said sorry before you left the car.

But as much as it breaks my heart, we are not getting you a pet...big, small, or in any other shape and size, until you get all “Os” in your report card and until you have proven you’re responsible enough to care for another lifeform.

I will not say sorry for setting you straight and for letting you go feeling bad this morning. For I am not. I know that I am making a better person out of you. But I will say this: I love you. And if my expression of love does not feel right to you at this time, I know in time you will know that I mean it.

Love,
Mom
2/15/13

No comments:

Post a Comment