Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Re-Gifting: Aim to Please Not Insult

There's nothing bad about re-gifting. If you you think an item you own would be appreciated by the recipient and will be put in better use, then go ahead, re-gift away!

There are just some simple rules I think we must follow in order to please instead of insult.

1.  Please make sure the item has never been used.

This should be obvious. If you have already used the gift and find that for some reason, it is not to your liking, just donate it or give it to someone "just because". Do not try to pass it up as a present. I got a blouse that I wore once but it just didn't look good on me. But the color would be perfect for my sister, so I told her that I had worn it once but it may flatter her more. I told her she could keep it if she likes it. She was happy that it looked great on her!

2.  Please remove all traces of notes that were meant for you.

Unless you mean to insult your recipient, please take out cards, notes, or tags indicating the item was meant for you. I once got the book "Eat, Love, Pray" form a co-worker for my birthday. I thought it was very sweet since she never gave anyone a present at work. When I opened the first page there was a post-it that read "Dear XXXXX, I hope you like this book. From XXXXXX". I would have appreciated it more if my giver told me "I'm done reading this book from my friend and thought you might enjoy it too. Happy Birthday!"

3.  Be honest. If you're comfortable enough to let the recipient know, a family or a close friend, then let her or him know that this was something someone gave you but you think he/she may enjoy it more.


4. Please do not brag that you bought it especially for him/her.

My mom got a present last Christmas. The giver said "I made this especially for you." It was a bottle of preserved vegetables. When my mom got home she opened the present and on the bottle it read "Dear XXXX, Merry Christmas, God Bless! From XXXXXXX Family." My mom got sad especially because she went out of her way to save and plan a present she could afford for that giver. It wasn't a matter of "how much" it cost. But the effort and the time to think things through instead of just grabbing a bottle from the cupboard, speaks much of a person.

I may not be a generous gift-giver. I may wait for the right items, I know my recipient would love, to go on sale. I do not have much, but if my recipient is special, I may even find time to make him or her something. A photo collage of her or his family on a frame. Baked brownies. A tribute video. But rest assured, if the gift comes from me, the frame may have been bought from the 99C store, the brownies may have come from a mix, and the video may cost me zero dollar amount, they would have all been meant for the recipient. Most of all, it would have come from the heart.

PSDon't you think those who re-gift carelessly should receive the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment